Geeks Unite!! Four Reasons Why Geek Girl is the Book to Make You Smile #throwbackthursday

by 11:07 AM 2 comments
Geek Girl by Holly Smale

Published: Feb 28th, 2013

Harriet Manners knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves.

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realize that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did.

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?

This weeks Throwback Thursday is a really cute and enjoyable book about the adorkable Harriet Manners. I absolutely loved this book! I've wanted to read it since I saw it in Paris like three years ago. It's perfect for one of those days when you don't want to read anything serious. Geek Girl is a really quick and fun book. Here are four reasons why it will put a smile on your face:

 
FOUR REASONS WHY GEEK GIRL MADE MY FACE HURT FROM SMILING:

1.) Harriet's hi-jinx
Harriet gets herself into some crazy situations! Fashion show disasters, a stunt at a local textiles show that cost her parent over a thousand pounds, Harriet really knows how to get mixed up in some almost unexplainable events.

2.) Nick aka Lion Boy
He's so adorable and I think he complements Harriet really well. Instead of making her feel like a geek, he just listens to her and go with it. He also makes her comfortable and helps her to open up a bit. He just the sweetest thing, OK!!!!!!!!

3.) Her Parents
Well I guess technically her Dad and her stepmom, Anabelle but who cares about technicalities right now. While her parents do bicker they still really get each other and they are pretty adorable together. Her dad is like a puppy. He's always running around, he has so much energy! I love her stepmom. She's like the glue that holds everyone together. You can tell they both really care about Harriet.

4.) Wilbur
Man, oh, man. Wilbur is hands down my favorite character. Wilbur is like Harriet's handler, a handler for fashion. Better put he is Harriet's agent. I loves that he gives her so many weird nicknames like: baby-baby panda and duck alien, lol.

I would definitely say that this book is geared more toward the 11-12 years old audience. There were times when I was reading this book and shaking my head at Harriet's naiveté. I felt that she acted kind of dumb for a person who was so smart but while we may have book smart we don't have street smarts. Trust me she had few street smarts. But I will just blame that on my advanced age of 23 and nothing else.

Until the next Review,
See Ya!!!
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE these duck out of water type books Taylor, they never fail to make you laugh out loud. I think it's because they seem so goofy and we can see snippets of ourselves in the characters as well. Wilbur sounds absolutely fabulous! This reminds me a little of Miss Congeniality, so of course I'll have to grab a copy. Wonderful review Taylor, really enjoyed it <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I just love a light, sweet read. I might have to check this one out. Maybe my 11-year-old daughter would enjoy reading it with me!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete