Blurred Lines by Lauren Layne

by 7:00 AM 4 comments
Blurred Lines by Lauren Layne

Rating: 4.5 out of 5


When Parker Blanton meets Ben Olsen during her freshman year of college, the connection is immediate—and platonic. Six years later, they're still best friends, sharing an apartment in Portland's trendy Northwest District as they happily settle into adult life. But when Parker's boyfriend dumps her out of the blue, she starts to wonder about Ben's no-strings-attached approach to dating. The trouble is, even with Ben as her wingman, Parker can't seem to get the hang of casual sex—until she tries it with him.

The arrangement works perfectly . . . at first. The sex is mind-blowing, and their friendship remains as solid as ever, without any of the usual messy romantic entanglements. But when Parker's ex decides he wants her back, Ben is shocked by a fierce stab of possessiveness. And when Ben starts seeing a girl from work, Parker finds herself plagued by unfamiliar jealousy. With their friendship on the rocks for the first time, Parker and Ben face an alarming truth: Maybe they can't go back. And maybe, deep down, they never want to.

I devoured this book! This is the first book I've read by Lauren Layne and wow! so dang good!! I really enjoyed reading Parker and Ben's story. Sometimes I wanted to smack them upside the head but other times I just wanted them to kiss and make up. Blurred Lines is a simple romance that will put a smile on your face and brighten your day.

There are three things I really love in books:
1.) mystery/suspense
2.) honest characters
3.) friendship romances

I get so tired of books where the couple has a lot of sex partnered with unnecessary drama. I feel like most of the romancey books I read have the characters arguing, never communicating, and then having hot sex to fill that void. Seriously, what happened to talking/actually having some laughs and good times with the person you are dating? When did everyone get so serious?!?!?

First, I have to say that I love Parker and Ben's friendship. They have this effortlessness to their relationship. It seems so believable it's surprising that they didn't figure it out sooner. I guess that can be said for the entire story as well. It was a very believable take on the friends to lovers trope without it being cliche and kitschy. 

I guess after constantly reading operatic NA novels it's getting difficult to realize what a normal well-written plot line looks like, lol. Or maybe what it's like to read a book that's not trying to out do other NA book's depressing story line. Blurred Lines, has just enough emotional depth without it becoming a Debby Downer. It's a  quick, fun, romantic book that you can just lose yourself in and maybe that's why I enjoyed so much.

Blurred Lines is a sweet, cute, and romantic story. Lauren Layne creates believable heartfelt characters who will make you smile, laugh, and hope right a long with them.

Until the next Review,
See Ya!!
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

4 comments:

  1. I think all the things you mentioned is why I had to take a break from this genre for awhile. Too much of the same thing and too many familiar overused and tiring tropes. ;) There are still some good ones out there and ones that I have loved regardless of the tropes but they are getting fewer and farther in between for sure. Glad this was a cute read for you though, that does say something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep there are less and less NA books out there that don't fall into the stereotypical trap. I feel like eventually all of these books will be labelled as college romances in a few years or maybe they will make up a new category, lol.

      Delete
  2. that cover does not scream, sweet and cute romantic story. :D But. I'll take your word for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?!?! That cover screams "sexy times ahead!".

      Delete