Bad Reading Habits Abound!!! #bookishthoughts

by 10:20 AM 10 comments
We all have bad reading habits. Lately I feel like I have a slew (is that a word) of bad reading habits. Or maybe with my new carefree resolution I am just now noticing them. This year I decided to just give in to all of my eccentricities and live wild and free!!!!! I'm saying yes!


Aside from channeling Liz Lemon as my spirit animal I have been doing my normal weird book things for a while and now I am owning up to them loud and proud (and in writing on the internet where everything stays and I can hold it against myself).

 REALIZING THAT I'M A MANIC READER

Yeah I'm a mood reader and because of this I get into these manic periods of time where I either read everything or nothing. And sometimes it a specific genre. I would only read books that were specifically thrillers. The worst is when I get attached to one particular book. The worst case of this was with A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. I just saw someone with the book and I had to track it down and get and I didn't read anything until I got it in the mail. Thank heavens it was actually a good book!!!

NEVER FINISHING A SERIES OR TRILOGY

I have started and stopped so many dang trilogies that my TBR is filled with unfinished sequels. I don't want to say that I've grown out of them but I've grown out of the time I've had to continue with them. I realized that unless the first book completely blows my mind or I'm just a diehard fan I won't continue with it. Unfortunately, this is why I've really stopped reading YA fantasy/sci-fi books. There is no such thing as a standalone YA fantasy novel and really I wouldn't know if I would want to read it. Also all the series I'm currently liking are all adult ones that I've been reading for a while now.

CAN'T STOP RE-READING

Last year, I re-read more books than books I actually read (wow is that sentence confusing or what?!). What I'm trying to say is I re-read a lot. A LOT. When I really like a book and I get into my manic reading periods, all I do sometimes is re-read. I've read books again after I just finished reading them for the first time. I made it my mission this year to not re-read as much but I'm still going to do it because I have no self control.

GOODREADS: SOMETIMES I FORGET ABOUT YOU

When I reading book after to book after book. It escapes my mind to go to Goodreads and put that I am currently reading said book. The only reason I really use Goodreads is to A.) find books, B.) track the books I'm reading, C.) to keep up with new releases and such. I like to keep track f the books I read because I check out a lot of book from the library and some times I don't record (or remember them well). This happened with Graceling by Kristin Cashore. I read it years ago (and I mean years like middle school). I remember what happened but I didn't remember the name of the book. When someone recommended it to me I was like" yeah that sounds cool, I'll read that." Then I read it and I realized I had already read it. Not Cool. So yeah I got to get better at that.

I BUY THE BOOKMARKS AND I LOSE THE BOOKMARKS

Every single time!!!! EVERY TIME! It's so annoying!This is the literal definition of why I can't have nice things. Where do they go? Do they go to that magical land where bobby pins and hair ties disappear? One Lost Sock Island? I don't even know why I buy bookmarks. Half the time I just end up leaving the book face down on the page I left on or I use an old receipt or something. I seriously give up on bookmarks.

IF I AM REALLY EXCITED FOR A BOOK IT TAKES ME FOREVER TO READ IT

And I mean FOREVER, like a months to muster up courage. I don't know what is wrong with me but if I really want to read a book and I know I'm going to like it then it will take me like a year to get around to reading it. Like I can't handle my own emotions about a book. I'm still trying to muster up the courage to read, This Shattered World, Crown of Midnight, Dream a Little Dream, and plenty more!

Do you have any bad habits? Any weird book quirks?

Unitl the next Post,
See Ya!!
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

10 comments:

  1. I love re-reading, too! I don't even think it's a bad habit!

    Sometimes it's hard to finish series -- I have a lot I need to finish but one bad book can turn me off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! One bad book in a series is like a wet blanket on your emotions. I really hate it when it's a trilogy and the last book bombs. I feel like half the time it takes so long for the next book to come out that I forget about it, oops!

      Delete
  2. I'm the worst at finishing series and trilogies, even ones that I love! I have no idea why so you aren't the only one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so weird it's like I want to read it but I just don't have to energy or something. Why is this so difficult? WHY?!?!?!

      Delete
  3. Love this post! I have a bunch of bad habits too. I am the opposite in that I didn't reread anything last year!! I actually have a couple of my favorites I want to listen to though. I hope to get to them. I lose my bookmarks too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rereading,sometimes I just can't let go! I swear this year is the year where I am going to try to keep up with my bookmarks (which I'm sure I say every year, lol).

      Delete
  4. I'm a terrible rereader. Even when I need to reread a series book because I've forgotten what it's about, I try to wing it and hope that something jogs my memory. I completely agree with mood reading too though. It's hard with review copies that need reading, because they dictate what you need to read and when. But this year I've decided to read for myself first and then review copies. I'm already a much happier reader already. I'm all for whatever makes a reader happy to prolong their love of reading. Awesome post Taylor and thanks for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I've pretty much given up on review copies. My Netgalley score is criminal. Good for you for making that choice. I'm glad that you are enjoying reading and blogging more!!

      Delete
  5. I hoard books. I hoard unfinished books. I can't control myself in front of a bookshelf. Rest assured, when I go to anyone's house, I'd be snooping around and judging them based on the books they have shelved. I have a lot of bad habits. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah, we all have terrible habits, (see above, lol). I hoard books, I've never even started to read yet. Books that aren't even in a series or a trilogy.

      Delete