Throwback Thursday #2: The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

by 8:12 AM 1 comments
What is throwback Thursday? So recently I started to count all the books in my TBR and I realized that I wasn't reading much from my TBR list. When I started to look at the books on the list I realized that some of them are quite old. So, I decided to dedicate one day to review old books in my TBR (eventually making it under 100 books) and of course Thursday is like national throwback day so what the heck here it goes!

                                                                                                                                                               

The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

Published: April 10, 2012 by Harper

Rating: 4 out of 5

Recommended for People Who: love suspense and supernatural mythology



Forced to flee her home, Maya and her friends escape Vancouver Island during a forest fire that she suspect was deliberately set. Now that Maya knows the truth about her paw print birthmark; she suspects that her friends may have supernatural abilities as well. However, after a violent helicopter crash, they find themselves stranded in the wilderness with nothing but their abilities to keep them safe. Will Maya and her friends make it back home? 


This book was a definite step up from the first. There was more action and more questions answered. However, I feel like some of the answers came way too easy.  Out of no where the characters just figured certain problems out however we didn't see that thought process. So it went from being "OMG, I'm so confused" to " ok wait now I got it" in like one page. Aside from that I really enjoyed this book. Seriously, I started shouting at it at some point (the suspense was killing me) and I became so engrossed in this book I stayed up way past my bed time finishing it.


All of my favorite characters were back in this book and like I hoped, we got to understand some of the supernatural abilities of the other kids in town, well most of the kids in town. I did like where the overall plot went and that something bigger was definitely happening. Towards the end of the book when I noticed what Ms. Armstrong was doing I was like "oh!, I get it" and then I got so mad. Because duh I never finished The Darkest Powers trilogy (my one regret from consistent reading when I was in the ninth grade) and now she's tying those two series together. Now I want to go back and finish it but it's way too late and I have no idea where I left them (probably at my mom's house in Texas). On the flip side, I can still get some closure so I'm really looking forward to the next book. I can't wait to see who Chloe ended up with and what happened after they escaped. I also can't wait to see how they all end up together and what's going to happen with the experiments. I'm just really excited for the next book!!


One final thing I liked about The Calling is that the plot didn't suffer from romance. You know what I mean. when you start reading a book because the plot sounds cool but its really all romance wrapped up in something pretty. Of course the MC, Maya's , main interesting fell from the helicopter in the beginning so that kind of squashes any romance but still, it was a relief (especially because I still ship her with Daniel but despite how hard I hope, I know they aren't end game).




I enjoyed this book more than the first and I hope they bring down these stupid medical research corporations. Also I can't wait to see some old characters and figure out what happened with the kids in the Darkest Powers Trilogy ( also I want to know if Chloe ended up with Derek).  I cannot wait for the next book but sadly it will have to wait until after I finish The Winner's Crime.






Until the next post,
See Ya!!!!!

Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

1 comment:

  1. Which reminds me, I have yet to finish this series. :/

    ReplyDelete