The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutoski

by 8:31 AM 1 comments
The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutoski

Rating 4.5 out of 5

Recommended for lovers of: fantasy and political intrigue

Book two of the dazzling Winner's Trilogy is a fight to the death as Kestrel risks betrayal of country for love.

The engagement of Lady Kestrel to Valoria’s crown prince means one celebration after another. But to Kestrel it means living in a cage of her own making. As the wedding approaches, she aches to tell Arin the truth about her engagement... if she could only trust him. Yet can she even trust herself? For—unknown to Arin—Kestrel is becoming a skilled practitioner of deceit: an anonymous spy passing information to Herran, and close to uncovering a shocking secret.

As Arin enlists dangerous allies in the struggle to keep his country’s freedom, he can’t fight the suspicion that Kestrel knows more than she shows. In the end, it might not be a dagger in the dark that cuts him open, but the truth. And when that happens, Kestrel and Arin learn just how much their crimes will cost them.


OMG! This book!!! That ENDING!!!! UGH!!! (I'm going to just warn you in advance there are going to be a lot of exclamations in this post.)  Holy crap!! This trilogy is AMAZE-BALLS, seriously! I thought the first book was good but it seems tame compared to The Winner's Crime. This book was frustratingly good. Good in the plot and the overall arc but frustrating because of the tortured romance between Arin and Kestrel. I ship them so hard, you guys, they are END GAME for me! If they aren't skipping off into the sunset by the end of The Winner's Kiss, I might lose it!

Arin and Kestrel are the definition of star-crossed lovers. It honestly seemed like they just couldn't make it work at all in this book and then when it could have been fixed it was always at the absolutely worst possible time. They just could not get it together and what really bothered me the most was Arin. Arin was being such a stubborn little knucklehead. I swear there were times when I wanted to reach into the book and just hit him in the head. I wanted to shake him and tell him that he was seeing everything wrong and just have some faith or something but nooooo he just wanted to be moody,brooding, and adorable (which I can't blame him for).

Kestrel, became a BAMF in this book. She took some risks (and ended up making a horrible incredibly stupid mistake) but she remained smart and calm even though she was dying inside. She was trying to protect herself and Arin while fighting for the Herrani, which was noble and brave. Kestrel was on fire in this book! I just wished they weren't both being so elusive. I just wanted them to put their faces together and make up!

 I loved that we got to explore the politics and cultures in this world created by Marie Rutkoski. I usually don't like fantasy but I was so drawn to this world. It was crafted so effortlessly. At times it felt like I was reading an actually history of war between these different groups of people. I love it when a fantasy novel doesn't try to hard. When everything gets too descriptive or weird I seriously lose interest. I lost no interest in this books whatsoever. I was so into this book, I fear for the safety of my kindle because there were some parts when I wanted to toss it around my room in frustration.

I have no clue how to live any more after that ending, like what am I suppose to do until the next book. Waiting sucks!  SERIOUSLY, of all the people why Kestrel? Kestrel!!!  why!??!?! why!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! I guess I will have to be patient and wait however patience is not my strong suit

Until the Next Review,
See Ya!!!!!

Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

1 comment:

  1. That ending was seriously so hurtful! It killed a part of me! I really can't wait to read the last book next year. Can't believe we have to wait more!
    I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Taylor! :)
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete