Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer by Rick Roirdan

by 2:54 PM 0 comments
Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer

Rating: 4.5/5

Recommended for People Who: love action/adventure, PJ lovers, and pretty much anyone

Living on the streets since his mother's mysterious death, Magnus Chase has managed to survive own his own without help from anyone. On his 16th birthday he is tracked down by his estranged uncle Randolph who tells him an impossible secret: that Magnus is the son of a Norse god.

Even worse Magnus is fated to release a dangerous being and prevent Ragnarok. Armed with only his wits Magnus teams up with an elf, a dwarf, and a Valkyrie to search the nine worlds in order to defeat fire giants, trolls, and anything else that stands in his way. Who new dying could lead to rebirth...

On a scale of one to ten, this book is a thousand. Seriously, this book was off the charts!! I'm kind of late to the Rick Riordan train. I started reading PJ just last year and I started the Heroes of Olympus about five months ago. However, I can still appreciate the wonderful writing and imagination in Rick's books. The Sword of Summer was a really fun read. Of course, with most first books (especially in series) it can get a little info dumpy in certain places, which kind of slowed down the book but not enough for me to get distracted or bored. 

Oh Magnus. Magnus Chase was a delightful character. Full of quick wit, he had me laughing out loud in public (seriously people were looking at me as if I was deranged) and at work (bad idea never doing that again). The thing I liked about Magnus was his strength and devotion to his friends. They were all struggling with their own personal demons however by the end of the book they created their own little family.

I really enjoyed the mythology in this book however I'm biased. I majored in history and I spent my senior year studying Norse history and writing a paper for the undergraduate medieval conference on the assimilation of female warriors in Norse Mythology and the Family Sagas. So I know my fair share of Norse mythology (and let me tell you the Codex Regius, Prose Edda, and The Icelandic Sagas are no joke). I spent long nights (emphasis on the s) trying to figure out who was what and why the same story was being told three times by different people. Thankfully, I survived the horrible flashbacks of sleepless and confused nights and really jumped into the mythological world Rick Riordan was showing us. I liked how he took the mythology and interpreted it in his own way through the characters he created. He made something that was once concrete and true and adapted it to modern times (like Thor and his obsession with modern television).

I don't think there was a character I didn't enjoy in this book (even the ones that were irritating). I loved seeing the supporting characters (like Hearthstone, the elf, and Blitzen the dwarf) truly develop and grow through the story along with Magnus. He wasn't going through the journey alone he was growing and changing with his friends. I also liked how he incorporated Norse history to make the Valkyrie Samirah, Muslim because come on history rocks.



In the end I really enjoyed this book and the little twist at the end to let us know that much more is in store. I can see how some people might think that this book is too slow or too similar to Percy Jackson but the world building and the laugh out loud characters are just enough for me to want all the books and then some. Also, he makes a lot of puns about his other books; seriously one chapter is called “Hearthstone Passes Out Even More than Jason Grace (Though I Have No Idea Who That Is)".

Until the Next Review,

See Ya!!!
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment