Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen

by 11:13 AM 1 comments
Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Recommended for: contemporary, family, friendship

Sydney has always lived in the shadow of her charismatic older brother, Peyton. Sydney's brother's behavior became more and more reckless until a terrible drunk driving accident left Peyton in jail. Now, Sydney has to deal with the aftermath and her brother's consequences. However, when everyone is focused on her brother, Sydney seems to be the only one focused on the victim.

When Sydney transfers to Jackson High she ends up in a pizza shop, eating the best slice of pepperoni she's every had making friends with the Chathams a warm, loving family, who takes care of their mother who has multiple sclerosis and accepts Sydney with open arms. As she begins to discover who she is she meets Mac who makes Sydney feel seen for the first time.

I have always been a diehard Dessen fans but her latest books didn't capture my attention as much as her earlier books did. So I entered the book with some trepidation but what I found was classical Dessen mixed with something new and I LOVE IT!!!

Things I liked:


I loved Sydney. I loved reading her thoughts, feelings, and I just generally connected with her. She spent most of her life trailing behind her older brother. Once he started to get into more and more trouble he pretty much became the main focus of their parents attention. Sydney was left to take care of herself. I loved Sarah Dessen’s writing in this book. I felt that she really dug deep into Sydney’s mannerisms and thoughts. I felt Sydney’s loneliness and her frustration with her mother as well as her estranged connection with her brother. I loved how her relationship with her brother changed by the end of the book. 

I loved the Chathams. Sydney practically became another member of the family and like most families the Chathams had their own issues. I loved how realistically and almost brutally honest this book was. In the end their was still some problems but everything was either fixed or leading to improvement.

Things I Didn't Like:

There wasn't anything I really disliked about this book but I wanted to know more about the Chathams. Particularly the relationship between Rosie and Layla. I couldn't understand their relationship. Did they like each other did they hate each other like what was happening there? I wanted to understand that relationship. 

In the end, I am definitely happy that I bought this book. Saint Anything is hands down worthy to be on the Dessen shelf (I have a lot of Sarah Dessen books ok). I can't wait to see what is next.

Until the Next Review,
See Ya!!!
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

1 comment:

  1. I love the sound of Sydney! And growth in relationships between characters is just the best. :) The Cathams sound like fantastic people as well! I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Taylor! Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete