A Captivating YA Fantasy: Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen

by 6:43 AM 1 comments
Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Recommendation: fans of strong heroines, fantasy, adventure

"They aren't ugly. More like beautiful things that have had the misfortune of being broken."

Seventeen year old opera singer Cecile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken to Trollus, a hidden city ruled by trolls underneath the Forsaken Mountain. Five hundreds years prior, a witch cursed the trolls and trapped them under the mountain. The citizens of Trollus are seeking the girl who will break that curse and that girl is supposedly Cecile. After being bonded and married to Tristan, the enigmatic Prince of Trollus, Cecile only wants to escape but all is not as it seems in this forsaken city. 
She begins to see that the trolls aren't as bad as they seem and only want the same thing she wants: freedom. She gets pulled into the political games of the rebellion to free her friends and the half-bloods from their captivity as slaves to the troll nobility. As her feelings toward the trolls and the prince begins to change, Cecile must become something she has never been before in order to survive.

I simply adored this book. Danielle Jensen took a different approach to something that has been done countless times and she has truly created a story that is unique and captivating. I got so into this book I didn't want to put it down. Learning about this race of creatures and the politics behind Trollus made this book so much more than what it seems.

I'm trying to remain calm and write a spectacular review but gosh!!!! This book was so good it caught me by surprise! I didn't expect it to be bad but I didn't expect it to be this AMAZING!! All of the characters, plot, and the relationships in this book was done so well its kind of mind blowing to read.

Cecile has to be one of the most awesome heroines. She wasn't weak and she was really quite smart. She wasn't about to go down without a fight and I liked that about her. Instead of sulking she took advantage of her situation as best as he could. She made alliances, which turned into unique friendships, she made herself aware of what was happening around her, instead of looking herself away, and she managed to see the trolls (well a few of them) as more than frightening stories she heard as a child.

Tristan is really great. He was more than what he seemed. Instead of being cold hearted, frightening and ruthless, he was sweet and caring. He could have treated Cecile like she was a burdensome human but he didn't. He really cares about his people, especially the half-bloods who remain slaves to the full blooded troll nobility. I liked how the relationship between Tristan and Cecile developed and that it wasn't insta-love. They shared ideas and their feelings (not that they really had much of a choice to not  share their feelings). It was nice seeing it develop. It was fantastic reading about the other charcters like Marc and the twins, it show a different side to some of the people trapped in the city.

The driving storyline is soooo compelling. I was completely hooked! Literally! If you are going to read this book make sure you have some things handled before hand because you will forget to do some stuff (sorry not sorry Chelsea and Pro. Vapnek). I really enjoyed reading Stolen Songbird and I can't wait for the next book!

So has anyone read and/or heard of this book yet? If so what did you think?

Until the next review,
See Ya!!!!




Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one before seeing your view Taylor, but it sounds truly epic! I'm tired of seeing the same type of fantasy books over and over, so as soon as I seen it was about trolls, that's it I need a copy. I can't wait to meet Tristan, I'm still imagining trolls as little people who live under bridges and eat you, so this is going to be awesome! Thank you so much for sharing Taylor, just adding it now to my Goodreads. Phenomenal review, can't WAIT to read it! <3

    ReplyDelete