The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

by 10:48 AM 3 comments
The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
Rating: 4 out of 5
Recommended for: fans of mythology, retellings








Kate's mother is dying and her last wish is to go to her home town of Eden but all is not as it seems in this small Michigan town. After a tragic and fateful night Kate meets Henry, a charming, lonely spirit who claims to be Hades, the god of the Underworld.

In exchange for Henry keeping her mother alive while she's away, Kate must past seven test to determine if she is fit to rule the Underworld at Henry's side. If she succeeds, not only will she get extra time with her mother, but she will become Henry's bride and a goddess. If she fails she might lose her own life...

The Goddess Test is a very lose adaptation of the Hades and Persephone myth. Ms. Carter really takes freedom with the characters and her own interpretation of the story. If you are a die hard fan of this myth I would recommend reading Seeds by M.M. Kin. However, if you are open to an really nice, intriguing adaptation I would stick to this book. Amiee Carter manages to make this story, that's been done a thousand times, into something new and interesting. While I really enjoyed this book there were a few things that I wished was stronger.

Kate had to pass seven test, while these test weren't bad, I thought they were going to be life or death challenges. I understood the reason and why, the qualities they tested her on were important because you need to have those things in order to be a great ruler but, I expected a tad bit more. Also, you don't really get a sense of the other mythological characters in this book, they're just mentioned once or twice. I did like the characters that we saw a lot of like Ava, Calliope, and James.

I really enjoyed Kate and Henry. The relationship they developed was beautiful and I believed it. There was a lot of depth to both of the characters. Kate has been dealing with her mother's illness for some time on her own. She wanted to save everyone in this book because she felt like she couldn't save her mother. This made her seem reckless at times but it was understandable because she always felt like everyone around her left and soon she would have to adjust to being alone. Henry, he was a lonely guy. The girl he loved, Persephone, never loved him back and every girl who tried to pass the test either failed or they were murdered. He seemed kind of hopeless and sad.

They were mature but damaged in some way and they helped each other grow emotionally. Kate made Henry care about living and Henry made Kate believe that she wasn't alone. I liked how Kate slowly fell in love with him and I liked how that was a central part of the story. Henry and Kate's relationship developed over six months which is quite realistic in a mythological book about Greek gods and goddesses.

The driving plot was well done and the twist in this book at the end was great! I'm excited for the other books in this trilogy.

Until the next review,
See Ya!!!
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

  1. I like it when authors take a story and base their own book on it, instead of retelling the same story. It's great when they make it a loose adaptation with their own imagination filling in most of the parts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story of Persephone and Demeter, but I was always hesitant to read adaptations, because of the possible consent issues. Falling in love ~after~ being taken to the underworld without consent sounds a bit like Stockholm syndrome. It sounds like she has a choice and is genuinely in love in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I read this review :D I haven't read too many good things about this book, but I still wanted to read it because of the mythological aspects. Now I am excited to read it again! :)

    Cucie @ Cucie reads

    ReplyDelete