Jane by April Linder

by 5:45 AM 4 comments
Jane by April Linder
Rating: 3.5/4 out of 5
Recommended for: romance, retelling lovers











This retelling of the classic gothic novel Jane Eyre tells the story of Jane Moore a young girl forced to drop out of her prestigious East Coast school and take a job as a nanny for the elusive rock-star Nico Rathburn. 

Hidden away at Thornfield to tutor his young daughter, Jane learns that all is not as it seems at the sprawling mansion in Connecticut. Conflicted between her feelings for Nico and his dangerous secret Jane must decide if true love can fight anything?

I don't honestly think that I would recommend this book to someone who really loves Jane Eyre. This is one of those books where you understand why some people hate it but you love it.  I really enjoyed this book. I bought it on a whim and I don't regret it. Reading about a rock star Mr. Rochester was delightful and highly entertaining.

I think that this is a very good adaptation of Jane Eyre, however, I've never heard (or read) of any other adaptations. Of course with many adaptations thing change due to the change in society and the way we think. It was quite interesting to find out how she took a novel that was appropriate for its original time period and brought it into the 21st century. Of course the best way to do that is to make your Mr. Rochester, in this story Nico Rathburn, a super famous, hot, and totally swoon-worthy musician.

I loved all the characters,  however, I wish we would have learned more of Jane's backstory. In Jane Eyre you really get a sense of why she is so closed off because she's been abandoned and neglect for years. While Jane Moore had been treated poorly by her parents and her older siblings, you mostly get a sense that she has always been closed off  that way but she never became that way.

I do wish that the author would have taken some liberties with the story. Sometimes it felt like I was reading Jane Eyre and not an adaptation. She should've changed their tones a tad bit and the second part of the story, I never really liked that plot point in the first place. The second part of the story seemed unbelievable and it is weird in our modern context. It seemed that maybe it would've been better to kept the basic story the same but change the reasoning behind the actions.

In the end I was really entertained by this book. It was enjoyable for what it was and if I'm ever in a book slump this is a book that I will read to get me right out of it.

Until the next review,
See Ya !!!!!!
 
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

4 comments:

  1. I have never read Jane Eyre (*cringes* I know). It's one of those books that everyone has been telling me to read for years and I just haven't gotten to it. I think I'll read it eventually, and once I do, I'll pick up this adaptation too. I love retellings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey no shame, I only read Jane Eyre after watching the movie version with Michael Fasbender.

      Delete
  2. Eh, that's a pet peeve of mine...when retellings AREN'T really retelling. I kind of felt that way with Ash by Malinda Lo. It felt like ti was literally reciting the original story. And that's not a retelling!! I want something FRESH amongst the oldness. *nods* I'm not a fan of Jane Eyre really, but I'm still curious about this. XD
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT's not bad you might like it if you didn't like Jane Eyre because it shakes up the oldness of Jane Eyre a little bit...

      Delete