ARC Review: Vendetta by Catherine Boyle

by 6:23 AM 8 comments
Vendetta by Catherine Doyle

Rating: 4 out of 5, aww heck 5/5

Recommended for: most people, crime/thriller, romance

Summer in Cedar Hill won't be the same for Sophie. Working as a waitress at her family's diner and hanging out with her best friend Millie is all Sophie is used to, until five brothers move into the abandoned mansion up the hill. She's completely drawn to mysterious Nicoli however, this romance isn't as easy as it seems. With a fierce family rivalry brought to light, Sophie will have to chose between family or love.

Vendetta is a modern book on a classic and rarely used subject. The mystery that Catherine Doyle weaves around Sophie and the Five brothers living in the mansion on the hill creates a really intriguing, page-turning story about love and family.

This is a perfect book for reading on a sunday morning which is coincidentally, when I read this book. The plot was well thought out and developed, and it kept me on the edge of my seat.

I liked all the characters, even the creepy, scary ones. Nicoli's family was dark and violent and I wouldn't want to cross a single one of them in a dark alley (except for Luca, he could cross me in a dark alley). Ms. Doyle didn't hold back on any of the crime in this book. I'm trying not to give too much away but the gritty nature of the central plot line adds to the mystery of Sophie's life. You discover bit's and pieces of Sophie's life right when the MC does and I love that. There are a lot of twist and turns in this book that keeps you wanting more. I was reading this thinking just one more page and before I knew it I finished the whole book.

I think my favorite character was Nicoli's brother Luca. He was sassy and I loved it! However, he had something hiding underneath that tough exterior. I really enjoyed how Sophie grew as a character. She never lost her morals or corrupted herself for Nicoli but she stopped cowering and hiding at the end of the book. She stood by her family even though it was falling apart day by day and pretty much stood up for the people she believed in despite huge differences. Nicoli was really sweet. Sophie and Nicoli had a great connection but I'm hoping for something else (Catherine Doyle knows what I'm talking about and I want it).

When this book ended I knew that I would definitely be reading the next book in the series and I can't wait for it!!

This book is released on Feb 24, from Scholastic.

Until the next review,
See Ya!!!
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

8 comments:

  1. Great review! "He could cross me in a dark alley." That's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! No but seriously he can.

      Delete
  2. This sounds absolutely brilliant, probably what the Elementals series really should have been. Five brothers in a mansion on the hill, the mystery and intrigue. Sign me up. Really excited to grab a copy. Thanks for sharing Taylor, and for putting this one on my radar. Lovely review <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you dod get a copy. I think you would enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. OMG LUCA IS MY FAVORITE TOO *high five* Was surprised by how much I liked this one! I can't wait for the next books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was surprising how good this was and I think Luca is the greatest. Mostly I just want of see more of him in the next book.

      Delete
  4. "He can cross me in a dark alley." That had me cracking! Your fangirling over this book is making me want to get a copy and read it. Really sounds good! Oh btw, I emailed you last week. :) - Joy @ The Bookshelf Intruder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it!!! I just checked my email so you should be getting something soon.

      Delete