The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

by 11:41 AM 2 comments
The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
Rating: 9 out of 10
Recommended for: Fantasy, Romance, Political things

As a general's daughter to a ruthless society that conquers and enslaves the people they take, Kestrel doesn't want to be a warrior but her only choices in her Valorian society are marriage or the military. She finds a kindred spirit in Arin, a young slave up for auction, and on instinct she buys him. However, her connection to him may come with severe consequences that will affect her country and her heart.

It took me a while to get into this story. I felt that I was constantly waiting for something to happen. I understand that the connect between Kestrel and Arin had to be built on but for the longest time it seemed to drag until about halfway through the book.
The world building in this book has to be my favorite element. The whole Valorian and Herrani societies and class structures really made this book. Marie Rutkoski created two interesting groups of people and made this book completely believable. I felt that I was drawn into both of these cultures instead of looking in on them and saying "wow that's cool".

Kestrel and Arin are really fantastic characters. They have a lot of depth to them but I connected with Arin more than I did with Kestrel. We knew Arin struggles and back story and it was pretty emotional. Arin was the closed of angry person because he lost everything. This doesn't mean that I didn't like Kestrel. She constantly talked about how she wanted more. She didn't want to get married and have babies because she liked her independence and hated how shallow the people were in society. She didn't want to join the military because she is not a great fighter but she's a cunning strategist. Together, all her attributes are fantastic but she didn't do anything with them. Kestrel can really be this cunning smart force to be reckoned with however, I didn't see any of that in this book until the last chapter or so.

Kestrel and Arin were perfect. Every once in a while I come across a book that doesn't make me absolutely hate the main couple. It's so rare to have a couple that just works. They were both so similar in their passion and intelligence. They grew to know each other so well there was no doubt that they are perfect for each other. The only thing standing in their way was the fact that they were from two rivalry societies. That's it! No other crazy drama, no weird problems or trust issues, no girl the guy dated years ago coming back from who knows where, basically nothing that could be solved if they just talked to each other and made some stupid compromises. What they have to do to be together isn't easy.

I really liked Kestrel and Arin as characters That ending was just to much for me and I seriously need a copy of the Winner's Crime. I'm looking forward to more creative world building and Kestrel becoming epic. If you haven't read this book yet you should.

Until the next review,
See Ya!!!!




Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

  1. The Winner's Curse was just glorious wasn't it, and The Winner's Crime is just as incredible! Once of the standouts for me was the romance too, they WERE perfect for one another and I loved that there was no awkward drama, insta love or triangles either. I can't wait to see what you think of The Winner's Crime. Brilliant review <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for The Winner's Crime but I don't know if my emotions can take it!!!

      Delete