The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall

by 10:13 AM 6 comments
The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall

Rating: 3 out of 5

Recommended for fans of: adventure, mystery/thrillers

Avery West is the missing heir to the powerful secret organization, the Circle of Twelve. Hiding in secrecy, Avery discovers the lengths this organization will go to and she must travel the world to thwart their dangerous plans. Some want to use her and others want her dead. Avery must solve ancient legends and decipher the clues around her in order to stay one step ahead of Stellan while putting her trust in Jack.

The Conspiracy of Us was great but it wasn't amazing. I was so excited for it to come out and while it did have some very good parts, it seemed to be lacking in certain areas.

Things I Liked:
One of my favorite aspects about this book is the story. The plot is so interesting and intriguing. I can tell that the author put a lot of thought and research into it and the history needed for the back story which made this book believable. Discovering along with Avery the different aspects to the Circle of Twelve's history was quite entertaining. The Circle and the different families were interesting. They added such depth and an underscore of violence to this book that I really loved. This made The Conspiracy of Us seem dark and serious which added to the control these people had over the world. I loved the little clues and the mystery but I couldn't become completely enamored in this book.

Stellan. When I first read the blurb I thought, "Oh, no, love triangle." Thankfully that is not the case. However, if I was suppose to hate Stellan it didn't happen. By then end of the book I think I liked him more than I liked any other character. Yes, he had his moments were he was quite annoying but he was like James Bond, not the villains in James Bond but, 007 himself. I understood his intentions and motivations, which made him, seem less like a butthole and more like a guy whose trying to do his best and make the best out of his situation. I respected him and by the end of the book I liked him more than the MC.

I also liked Jack and Luc but I admit I didn't like either of them as much as I liked Stellan. Jack was really sweet but I feel that I didn't get to know him as much. I wanted to know how he felt more often because I was seeing him through the MC's eyes and I don't think she really saw him. Jack, Luc, and Stellan are in the same situation just for different reasons. I loved hearing both of their back story's and seeing how they got involved with the Circle. It really added depth to the organization and their methods. Jack had a lot to lose and his love for the people he cared about was really his driving force and that made me want the best for his character.

Things I didn't Like:

I don't want to say it but I didn't like the MC, Avery. I felt that she made some really stupid choices. She seemed quite judgmental to me and I felt that she trusted the wrong people and didn't trust the right people. She HATED being lied to and I swear it was the second most annoying thing about her (I'm serious she so judgmental). She spent most of the books complaining about who she couldn't trust. Like, WHAT ELSE DOES THIS PERSON HAVE TO DO TO GET YOU TO TRUST THEM!!! I was reading this and I couldn't see half of these so called trust issues.

 She also was a bit of a pill to her mother (and believe me by the end of this book she wanted her mom and was probably regretting her choices). She really put herself into a horrible situation. I mean who goes to a foreign country with strangers just to meet her family who, lets face it, are strangers family or not. This is a plot point that happened in another book and I didn't like it there either. Not only is it completely unbelievable, it's quite stupid of the MC. She constantly went along with it and when she tried to find a way out she ended up putting herself into a worse situation. Seriously, I was reading this book and shaking my head at some of the things she was doing. How can you like a book if you don't like the Main character?

This book promise to be action packed but that's not really the case. I'm not saying that it doesn't have action in it but it takes forever to happen. I feel like I spent most of the book waiting for something to happen. When the action did start it was amazing, I swear I couldn't turn the page fast enough. When they found what they needed to find I was so sad I wanted it to last longer but they weren't finish and that's why I'm kind of excited for the next book.
In the end, I was left feeling confused about how I felt about this book but I will probably read the next one for the mystery and the story.

Until the next review,
See Ya!!!!!
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

6 comments:

  1. Hmm, the main character sounds like a piece of work. I reeeally don't think I'd have a fun time with this one which sucks because the cover is beautiful. x) I'm glad the action was good once it got going though!! http://ashanalian.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/tag-my-life-in-books.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this cover is gorgeous! I guess I my expectations were too high.

      Delete
  2. Oh no, I've been looking forward to this book! It sucks to hear that the MC is so silly and makes so many awful choices, those are the characters that I hate the most as well so I'm not surprised that you weren't impressed. I like my plots to be fast, so the lack of action for the majority of the book is a let down too. :( Thanks for your honest review lovely xx

    Joy @ Thoughts By J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the next book will have more action, at least I hope it will. But this book spent a lot of time building up and creating a setting, that kind of made it seem slow.

      Delete
  3. I've seen a few awesome reviews praising this one, so love seeing why it didn't quite work for you. The main character sounds like a complete ass with her head stuck up there to be honest. I love the sounds of having an action packed storyline, but not if it's slow to start. I had the impression that this was more so of a romance first, did you find that as well? I might grab a copy cautiously and tread carefully with this one. It still intrigues me though. Incredible review, simply loved it! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bad after 100+ pages. Yes there is a romance and it was nice but this is actually one of those books that has romance but isn't claiming to be something else. It is actually more of an adventure book. I would give it a try but there are some serious eye rolling moments.

      Delete