Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

by 5:25 AM 7 comments
Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Rating: 5 out of 5

Recommend for: fans of historical fiction and fantasy

Seventeen year old Ismae has always been an outcast in her village and unloved by her father. She finds sanctuary at St. Mortian, a convent dedicated to the god of death, after escaping from a violent arranged marriage. There she learns of her true lineage as a daughter of the patron saint of death and find her true purpose as the handmaiden to Death. She learns to become a skilled assassin in order to protect her kingdom from invasion and destitution. She must travel to the court in order to protect the duchess. Soon she begins to question to question her purpose and her duty when they battle with her heart's desire.

Grave Mercy is a story about death, female assassins, and political intrigue all wrapped up in a political thriller filled with mystery and romance. I loved this book. I became so wrapped up in lives of the girls at St. Mortain. I am definitely excited for the other books in this trilogy.

Ismae proved to be an interesting character. She suffered a life of neglect and abuse by her father and is scarred, literally, because of this. She has a strong connection to the convent because they saved her from a life of fear and suffering. I actually really liked Ismae. She evolved so much as a character. By the end of the book she learned to think for herself, stand up for what she believed in and discovered who she wanted to be. She was strong, independent, but she still managed to have emotions instead of being portrayed as a heartless assassin.

This book was quite dark and I think it perfectly caught the mood of a country in turmoil and the roles of women (and girls) during the middle ages. I loved all of the characters in this book, even the ones we had to hate. The villains were terrifying and brutal, the friends loyal and strong, the leaders frail but brave there wasn't a character who didn't have depth and personality to them. I particularly enjoyed the Duchess, Anne, and Ismae sisters, Sybella and Anith.

I thought the romance in this novel happened well and by the end of the book I was rooting for them. They learned to trust each other, and that trust developed into something more. It happened slowly and Ismae never jumped to conclusions about Gavriel and in turn he showed her how to think for herself and trust her heart. They truly were a perfect match and that so rarely happens in many Young Adult novels. They complimented each other well and brought out the best in each other.

I really enjoyed Grave Mercy and I am looking forward to the other books in this trilogy.

Until the next review,
See Ya!!!!!!!!
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

7 comments:

  1. I love fantasy! And I love historical? How is it possible that this is not on my TBR yet??? Great review, by the way. Thanks for bringing this to my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think this book is a popular as it should be! I hope you enjoy it whenever you get around to reading it. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  2. I really really reaaaally want to read this book!! *-* It's been on my wishlist for months! :D

    Ps. I have a blog as well, if you want to stop by I'd appreciate it so much! It's both in Italian and in English :3 -> http://frannieinthepages.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well what are you waiting for!!! Seriously this is an amazing book!!

      Delete
  3. I have this on my kindle from netgalley when they were giving copies away. I'm actually not a huge fan of high fantasy, but OI'm defintely itching to start this now.

    Awesome review <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try at least for the romance and the epicness of awesome medieval women assassins. ASSASSINS!!!!

      Delete
  4. Ooh 5 stars?!! I love seeing 5 star reviews on other blogs! I've seen this book around & was debating on it. Sounds really good, definitely need to give it a try now! Great review! Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete