Rebel Belle

by 10:40 AM 0 comments

Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins
Recommend for: Anyone/Seriously read this
Rating: 10 out of 10

Rebel Belle tells the story of Harper Price. A good old fashioned southern girl, Harper Price is capable of just about anything. What she wasn't prepared for was a deadly run it at Homecoming that involved her, the janitor and a sword wielding history teacher. Who says Homecoming isn't exciting. Harper's night manages to get crazier when she gains incredible abilities that makes her a Paladin, a sect of ancient guardians with super strength and amazing fighting skills.

Her junior year makes a turn for the worse when she realizes that she has to been sworn to protect David Stark, playground nemesis, high school nemesis, and, the only person that Harper can't stand. Her year manages to get more and more complicated and as her feelings towards David changes and a startling prophecy that can cause desecration to the small town of Pine Grove and possibly the world. 

And she thought cotillion was the only tough part of her year. 

I can honestly say that I am a tad bit biased when it comes to Rachel Hawkins. I haven't read a book by her that I've hated. She has such a way of writing her characters that makes her books so intriguing and laugh out loud funning. With that being said, this book is going to look so great on my bookshelf. 

Rebel Belle is pure entertainment. I mean curling up a blanket, some chocolate (or in my case ice cream), and turning off the phone because, believe me you don't want anything to distract you while you are reading this. This types of book is actually quite hard to review. There's no deep meaning behind everything, no crazy characters, or extravagant world building, its just a fun exciting story that makes you feel happy while reading it. This is one of those books that makes you realize why you enjoy reading so much.

Now, my girl Harper has to be the perfect southern Belle. She is classy, witty, she never swears, she the president of just about every club, and still manages to be head cheerleader and homecoming queen with the most fabulous boyfriend. She's the quintessential girly girl and I loved that! I hate when an author has to create this epic hardcore girl that's emotional stunted because of some reason. It's ok to be girly. I'm girly. I loved everything about Harper Price. She is down to earth and such a good friend. There is a definite sense of girl power in this book. Hawkins managed to give Harper some depth as a character while keeping the book light and engaging. There was not a single dull moment. Harper was a trail blazer, a force to be reckoned with, snarky yet elegant. She tried so hard to be this amazing person and to be nothing like her sister, it is endearing to see everything that she does and, she looks fabulous while doing it. There will never be a Paladin as great as her and also a southern girl who isn't as fierce, move aside Mary Beth because you don't have it.

I really enjoyed the relationships Harper has in this book. Her perfect friendship with her best friend and the relationship she manages to cultivate with David. I just adored David.

"Look at him. Whole life turned upside down, and he's in there making pizza rolls."

They were a perfect team. I believe that he was the only character who really saw her for her. Most people thought that she was a stuck-up overachiever but, he saw how this was her personality and not a character flaw. I loved their banter and their friendship.

My favorite thing about this book was it's ability to make me literally LOL. I was in my room laughing up a storm. My friends were looking at me like I was crazy but, how can you not laugh at moments like this:

"I picked up the nearest weapon I could lay my hands on: a stapler. I lifted it, going for "menacing." I admit it lacked a certain elegance, but hey. It was worth a shot. David placed his hand on my arm and pushed it back down.
"What?"
"Just... that's embarrassing for all of us," he replied."

This book definitely pulled me out of the slump I've been in. It has given me inspiration to do something I have NEVER done before. I'm going to read a spinoff series. Yep, I am going to read Bloodlines. I know, I know, I've said this before. I have stopped and started this book so many times but now I WILL do this!! It's like I'm a Paladin like Harper. I have the POWER!!!!!!

All of my dorkiness aside, you should pick up this book. Trust me you won't regret it!!!!

Until the next review,
See Ya!!!!!!
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment