ARC Review: Compulsion by Martina boone

by 8:37 AM 0 comments

Compulsion by Martina Boone
Recommended for: Fans of fantastical tales, Beautiful Creatures
Rating: 8/7.5 out of 10

Compulsion tells the story of Barrie Watson. Barrie has spent her life captive in her own house with her shut-in mother. When her mother unexpectedly dies, Barrie learns of a family and a life she never knew existed. However, everything is not as it seems in the sprawling house on Watson's Landing. She learns the secrets that her mother ran from, the secrets her aunt tries to deny, and spirits that are becoming restless. Finding out about her powers and her families legacy is harder than it seems.

Who can Barrie trust? Will Barrie find a way out of this haunting curse and free her family? With the help of Eight Beaufort, another family cursed by the founder's of Watson Island, Barrie will learn of her families secrets and conquered them once and for all, but at what price?

I want to start off by saying that I love this story. The concept is so interesting and dark, also not what I expected. Instead of it being just another story about southern witches it's a story with truth and legend. Ancient Native American tales, and greedy men tell an interesting story. I guess it's just the historian in me. Compulsion is like a haunting bed time story, that's also enchanting, this plot is what kept me interested in this book.

On that note I guess I should talk about Barrie. Barrie, Barrie, BarrieIt took me forever to read this book. Mainly because the main character Barrie took some getting use to.  She has to be, with out a doubt one of the most naive heroines I've read in a long time. Her blind trust made me roll my eyes so many times, I'm surprised they haven't rolled out of my head. It was so infuriating to read how one minute she was totally against something and she knew she didn't want to do it but, then she did it anyway because of some extra stupid reason. I understand that this was a part of her character. After taking a much needed break from this book, because honestly I just didn't understand, I realized that this was her major character flaw. She's spent her life hidden away and when she finally learned of this family she never knew she wanted to connect with them. However, I still think that she should have trusted her first instinct. After the way this book ended I'm sure she won't make that mistake again, which is good for character development further in the series.

As far as the other characters went I absolutely adored her aunt Pru and Eight was just swoon worthy. They were very supportive and understanding. They stood by her thorough so much. And Ugh!! Eight!! Eight, that ending! I knew that he was going to go but Why?!?! WHY!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I am really looking forward to what will happen with Barrie in the next book. I hope she grows as a character and I really don't what to spoil anything but, I hope she finally breaks the curse. Spoiler I want her to be FREEE!! so she can move back to Cali and be with Eight forever and ever.

This book is released on October 28, 2014 from Simon & Schuster

Until the next review,
See Ya!!!!!
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment