The Selection by Kiera Cass

by 10:18 AM 3 comments

The Selection by Kiera Cass
Rating: 8.5 out of 10
Recommended for: Fans of romances 

"I hope you find someone you can't live without. I really do. And I hope
you never have to know what it's like to have to try and live without them ."

For 35 girls the selection is the chance of a lifetime. However, for America Singer, it couldn't be worse. Turning her back on her secret love, Aspen Leger, America enters the selection with the chance to become royalty. Being married to Prince Maxon would ensure her families wealth and enable them to rise from the struggles of being a Five to the pleasures of being a One.

Entering a fierce competition, and fighting for her life in a palace constantly threatened by rebel attacks, America struggles with her feelings after she meets Prince Maxon and she begins to question what she really wanted and what the future could be worth. 

This book a guilty pleasure read. You don't really want to like it but, it's so entertaining you can't help it.

There was only one thing that truly bothered me about this book and it's the setting/world building. It was poorly done. Honestly, all I can say is that she tried. She really did. This book is more than a romance than it is a dsytopian book. There is a bit of mystery with the source of the rebel attacks but aside form that there were a lot of unanswered questions with this book but, I guess it gives more reason for them to be explained in the following books. While the author explains what happened to America, not the MC the country, (confusing I know) and honestly it couldn't be anymore confusing. She briefly explains the beginning of the royalty but you never get a good understanding of what truly happened. This leaves a main bulk of the book to be lacking.

However, this book is so freaking entertaining it's hard to not get sucked into it. The whole bachelor-esque story is so freakin amazing! I love it! This part of the story was well done. Each girl had a individual personality and purpose, it was hard to not get pulled into the drama. I loved each little date he had with every girl, and the rivalry but also the friendships that some of the girls formed. 

This brings me to Maxon. OMG!!! I forgot the guy who she was suppose to like because I am all for Prince Maxon. He's totally a swoon worthy male. He is the greatest guy. Honestly, he treated her like a princess, pun completely intended and hopefully some foreshadowing. He was very sweet, kind, and caring. UGH!!! I want one. He was a strong, when he needed to be a brave too. He is also very respectful, which is always a nice quality. Honestly, for some parts in the book I think that he deserved better than America.

America Singer is the MC and she is almost infuriating. She's a very strong character. Aside from the fact that her name is so ridiculous I didn't really hate her but I didn't really like her. I'll have to see where the next book takes her because she seems like the type of character that makes mistake after mistake and doesn't bother to think about the consequences.

I loved some of the girls like Marlee, and I hope that we get to read more about them and their personalities. Aspen was ok. He wasn't in the whole book so I didn't get to know a lot about him and honestly after Maxon I don't really care.

I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Until the next book,
See Ya!!!!!!!!!
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

  1. I agree! The Selection was pretty good! But I didn't really like the Elite. But I'm gonna read the One soon because a lot of people said it was good. :)

    Jules of Jules Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this book also. I liked the reality television aspect of it :) Haven't read the next ones yet, but I'm hoping to get to them soon. The covers are so stunning also!

    Cucie @ Cucie reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books look so great on my shelf. They are really gorgeous covers. I finally finished the other books and the next one, The Elite, wasn't the greatest but I loved The One. I'm so excited for the spin off.

      Delete