The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski

by 2:32 PM 0 comments

The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
Recommended for: fans of Thoughtless
Rating: 9.5 out of 10

"Well, everybody needs help feeling alive again every once in a while." "No," she says seriously,
and my gaze falls back on hers, "I didn't say again, Andrew; for making me feel alive for the first time."

Twenty year old Camryn Bennet has always thought outside of the box. Determined to not live her life in repetition and based on everyone's expectations, she thought everything was going well until it all feel apart. 

Hoping to move on and away from her depression, Camryn decides to start a new life with her best friend. However; after one fateful night in a Carolina night club Camryn begins to feel more restless than ever and decides to hop out of town on the first bus to nowhere. Determined to find herself on this trip, what she ends up finding is how to love again, how to live again, and how to move on.With the help of a fellow traveler, Andrew Parrish, Camryn realizes that life is unexpected and full of surprises.

P.S. this is not a Young Adult book so beware of explicit content.

I feel like I either picked the greatest collection of books for this experiment. This is going well because this book was amazing if not better than Thoughtless. I absolutely loved almost everything about this book. The story/plot was fantastic, kind of like Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. The characters weren't awful and annoying. It was well written. Jeez! I just loved this book.

Camryn was a great MC. She wasn't a Mary Sue constantly being plague by nothingness. She knew what she wanted but not how to get it. At first, I was a little skeptical about her character because she seemed a tad bit whinny but, she was just depressed because has has a restless spirit. She wanted so much more out of her life and she felt stuck in a small town around the same people. She didn't want to spend the rest of her life doing the same thing over and over until she died and that's understandable.

For a person who doesn't seem to take risk she sure did up and leave so fast. She decided to take a bus to Idaho, the most random, useless, almost non-existent place in America. Like seriously, how many people have you meet from Idaho? None, that's how many. On this trip, to honestly the middle of nowhere, she meets Andrew Parrish. A guy traveling to Wyoming to visit his dying father.

At first they don't seem to get along but, they actually create a beautiful friendship in which they learn not only about each other but, about themselves. After a freak accident at one of the bus stations, Camryn misses her bus. After much consideration they decided to drive and drive until they decide on where to go. I absolutely loved this part of the book. There's something about roadtrips that are so fascinating to me. When I used to go on roadtrips with my family I love them.

I  loved the relationship between Camryn and Andrew. They complement each other so well. they started off as friends so they have this friendly attachment that just blossoms from there.  Andrew has the perfect amount of snarkyness but he still manages to be so caring. You can tell that he really wants the best for Camryn. I loved his character except for the fact that he didn't know how to handle his emotions but, I will get to that later on in this review.

The book is told form both of their p.o.v's which I didn't realize when I first started reading it. This gives you great insight to how they both feel and what they are thinking. It also gives you the background on both of their stories which honestly helps their personal development. I thought that this was a great move on Remerski's part. This book up until about the last 100 pages is amazing but after that, it blew my mind. I honestly didn't think it could be better but, she dropped a bomb on us. I'm so serious by the epilogue I almost had a panic attack. Seriously, not cool how she did that.

The reason this book didn't get a full ten rating was because of one thing that really bothers me. I feel that personally, their was a small amount of sexism in the book. Camryn referred to a woman who just looking at andrew as a slut. I mean if that's the case everyone woman who looks at an attractive man is a slut. She kept saying how she didn't want to do this or that because it seemed slutty. It's like saying that women who are in control of their sexual need and wants are all slutty, which isn't true. And Andrew kept saying how his father thought that crying was ridiculous and that men/boys shouldn't cry and so on. Seriously, I felt bad for him. If you are sad cry, it doesn't make you less of a man to have emotions.

Aside from all of that, I still really enjoyed this book and I am looking forward to more books by this author. The next book in my "New Adult" experiment is Beautiful Disaster. I will start reading it after I finish the Selection.

Until the next review,
See YA!!!!!


Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment