Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

by 11:21 AM 0 comments

Rating: 7.5/8 out of 10
Recommended for: lovers of sci-fi or retellings

I have been thinking about this review for a while. Mainly because this is a strange book. Seriously, I should change the recommendation for people who like weird books. This book is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast and I can see how that is possibly but, the story itself is really, really weird.

Nyx has been groomed since birth to be wedded to Ignifex, the evil ruler of her kingdom because of a deal her father made before she was born. However, she has been trained since she was young to murder him.  Unfortunately for her, he is not as he seems. She becomes enchanted with him and his castle.

The setting of this book is very interesting. It takes place in ancient Greece/Rome. Because of this they worship a lot of Greek gods and goddesses and it has a lot of ancient Greek culture through out the book. This makes it a tad bit confusing because the MC talks about a lot of customs and they are a tad bit confusing.

Nyx and the Gentle lord are very unique characters. They are both slightly unlikeable because they aren't the nicest people. I actually really liked that. When you look at Nyx's life/childhood she shouldn't be the nicest person. She has been groomed to die because of something her father did and pushed aside all of her while her father showed her sister love and affection. She hates her father because he does not love her and he's a coward. She resents her sister for having the life that she wanted. This was one of the more confusing parts of the book and it was slightly annoying. She talks about how much she hates her sister but then proclaims that she loves her and this happened again and again and again. It's like ok do you like her or not?

The Gentle lord was not a beast in the beastly appearance of his normal character. In this book he is portrayed as a demon. He was really misunderstood at the beginning of this book much like the beast is but he couldn't deny his true demon nature. Shade is another very interesting character. He is the gentle lord's shadow however at night he could materialize to his true form. I don't want to give anything away but seriously I knew from the minute the MC describe him what was happening. It was painfully obvious. She tried to create this love triangle but is didn't last and I could see through it so it wasn't a big deal for me.

After I read this book I didn't know how I felt about it. I don't even know how to write this review. With that being said, this book is unique and original. I can see how this is a retelling however, the world that Ms. Hodge is so completely new it is a little hard to wrap your head around it. In the end, I asked myself one question: Would I ever read this book again? The answer is yes I probably would and therefore, I really enjoyed reading this book. It's not my favorite but, I was very entertained.

Until the next book,
See Ya!!!!!!!!




Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment