I am Spellbound Book Review: Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

by 1:34 PM 0 comments
Every once in a while there comes a book that is just so great you can barely write a coherent review for it. This is that book.

My Rating: 10 out of 10
Recommended for: anyone who was a fan of the Hex Hall series or Rachel Hawkins in general 

You know those days when you are just scrolling through Goodreads looking for a new book. Maybe a friend was reading it or it was recommended to you but you decided why not, I'll read this. This was that book for me. I didn't know if I was going to like and I lot of people I follow haven't read it. It was one of those obscure but not by choice book. Well, I am glad that I picked this up. This book Could possibly go on the list of my favorite books this year. I couldn't put it down, literally, I stayed up all night reading it!

This book tells the story of Emma Connor an ordinary girl that has dealt with hard times and now has moved in with her great aunt who lives in the New York Upper East Side. There she starts to attend Vincent Academy, a posh exclusive school for the well to do. While there she meets gorgeous Brendan Salinger and can't stop her fast feelings for him. However, is there relationship doomed before it even starts?

I just loved this book. I did. I LOVED it! When I first  heard the small story on the back I was kind of skeptical. The summary makes this book seems like it was going to be about a girl chasing a boy who was a total jackbutt and then blah, blah, blah. I was afraid of the insta-love connection which I believed to  be the main focuses of this book. Well, I was wrong. The author really took something ordinary and made it a fairy tale story about love. 

I loved every character in this book, even the annoying ones. The main character, Emma, can honestly be the greatest main character I've read about in a while. She is sharp and has quick-wit, also everything she says is laugh out loud funny. She was real and honest. She stood up for herself and her friends and that is an admirable quality. Most of all she did this without being afraid, without crazy fighting skills, and without supernatural help. With that being said I was right/wrong about the whole this book is about witches thing. I wasn't entirely wrong however, I wasn't in the 100% category of being right. 

This books main plot point really took me for a surprise. I had it planned that this was a book about a girl who didn't know she was a witch. Even though it was a fairy tale that has spanned centuries. It is centered around an old story that reads right from the best type of bed time stories. I was glad for this because it was unique and different and it really added to the element of their love story because that is basically what this book is about.

I really enjoyed Brendan. It has been a while since I've read about a main guy character who seemed genuine and sweet. He was a cutie patootie. He never did anything that really annoyed me.
I loved Angelique, Ashley, and Cisco. They were awesome friends and also provided hilariously funny moments. I even enjoyed her aunt Christine.

This book was well written, engaging, completely engrossing, and I can't wait to read the next and last book, Spellcaster.

Until the next book review,
See Ya!!!!!!


Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment