BOOK REVIEW TIMEEEEEE: Along for The Ride by Sarah Dessen

by 11:51 AM 0 comments
I have a secret... I have a softness for Sarah Dessen books. She wrote one of my favorite books and since then I have loved her books. This is one of the books my book club is reading this month and so I decided that I would reread it and write a review for it.


My Rating: 9.5 out of 10

This book tells the story of 18 year old Auden, a night owl, who decided to spend her summer at her father's beach house with her young stepmother who is expecting a baby. During this summer she finds out what she really wants makes new friends and find companionship in Eli, a fellow insomniac, who shows her how to live each day.

This book started of a tad bit slow but, it became a great funny read with all of the charm of Sarah Dessen's best books. It is a book that I will probably read again and I am glad that I own it.

When I first started to read this book Auden seemed really pretentious. Of course this is due to the way she grew up. She lives with her mother, who is a renowned scholar and very conservative. Her mother has very strong feminist ideas and believes that brains is the most important aspect a girl can have. Her mother was a very misunderstood character and I felt like she treated Auden as another student in her class. She always undermined her intelligence and she made fun of her which was weird. 

When she first started to live at her father, Auden was really rude to her stepmother Heidi. It is understandable that she wanted to spend time with her father but even then her father spent all of his time in his study. Her father was one of my least favorite characters. He just seemed really self-centered and didn't care or help anyone out. He didn't help Heidi with the new baby and he didn't spend a lot of time with Auden but she always found excuses for her father which bothered me. In the end he managed to redeemed his character but, I loved how Dessen didn't try to pretend that all was well but gave enough to imply that it could get better.

My favorite part of this book occurs after she starts working at Heidi's job. She really starts to grow in her own as a character. She stops trying to pretend to be someone she wasn't. I loved the girls who worked at the shop. They had awesome banter and offered counsel and friendship to Auden both of which she never really had. I enjoyed all of the guys who worked at the bike shop. 

I really loved Maggie. She was possibly the greatest character. She showed Auden, without having to say it how wrong it is to stereotype someone. She offered her the friendship and advice she never got and she was funny.

Eli was a great character. He had this clam presence about him and her really brought Auden out of her shell and she did the same for him. I loved how Dessen didn't rush into any strong feelings for this couple right at the beginning.  She developed them as friend as they opened up to each other. I loved how Auden slowly but surely got rid of all of the stereotypes and started to make her own decisions. She started to live.

Until the next book,
See Ya!!!!



Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment