Book Review Time: To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

by 5:00 PM 0 comments

My Rating: 9 out of 10
Recommended for: Fans of Jenny Han and lovers of Contemporary Romances

I've heard very great things about this book from a lot of readers. I have never read a Jenny Han book before, shocking I know right, I thought this book would be great for me so why not read it. 

To All the Boys I've Loved Before tells the story of Lara Jean. Instead of openly admitting how she feels to her crushes, Lara Jean writes them a love letter but never, ever mails it. However, unknown to her, the letters are mailed to every guy she's ever loved, including her sister's boyfriend, Josh, and Peter Kavinsky, the most popular boy in school. Now she must deal with the consequences and her emotions from her first crushes.

When I started reading this book I assumed, wrongly of course, that I knew exactly what was going to happen. This book surprised me i the best way possible. I fell in love with every character. I really enjoyed reading about Lara Jean's family. Her relationships with her sister's and her father was truly beautiful, despite the tragedy of them losing their mother so young. I enjoyed her father but I truly loved her younger sister Kitty. She was funny and a typical little sister but she was brazen and diabolical, which I liked. Her older sister, Margot, was ok. I understood that she was under a lot of pressure to fill her mother's shoes however, at times she was a tad bit too judgmental and overbearing. I'm glad that Lara Jean realized that she could be someone without her sister and that she didn't need her to make decisions for her.

 I really grew to like Lara Jean. At first, she seems a little lost or complacent. Towards the end of the book she grew and changed into a great and wonderful person. She also learned how to be her own person, without her sister and I believe that this was one of the biggest changes in her growth as a character.  She was also a bit dorky but she liked that about herself, also she scraps book and anyone who scrapbooks is just fantastic. One small thing I really enjoyed about this book and Lara Jean was how true she was to her traditions and heritage. Ms. Han didn't shy away from the fact that Lara Jean and her family was half-Korean (their mother was Korean). I loved it when there is diversity in books, it really gives more depth to the characters.

Josh was ok but honestly I don't care about him, let's talk about Peter. OMG, Peter K. was just the greatest and sweetest. What I loved the most about him was that he's not the stereotypical perfect guy. He was self-centered and cared waaaaaay too much about how people perceived him. I liked that Ms. Han didn't make excuses for him as a person, she just made us see his good side and what's underneath all of that bravado. I thought that it was so important how Lara Jean didn't forgive him right away in the end. What he did was wrong. He should have defended her but,  he didn't. When she realized that he really did care in the end is shows how much more the need to grow in the next book.

All- in- all I enjoyed this book. I am looking forward to the next book in this series.
Until the next review,
See Ya!!!


Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment