Review Time!!!!!!!!!!! The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

by 1:22 PM 0 comments
So, I know I said I was going to do it yesterday but I had unlikely inspiration to do something else. But Now time for book Review.



Southern girl, Rory, starts a new school in London. However, the same time she starts school Rippermania begins. A serial murderer lurks the streets of London emulating Jack the Ripper's killings.

Is Rory safe in London? and why suddenly has she attracted the attention of this ruthless murderer?

I have to start by saying that I love Maureen Johnson's writing. She always write funny, charming characters and I love how her characters are world travelers.

In this case, I really enjoyed Rory's character. I loved how she was brazen and funny. One of the things that bothered me about her was how she seemed oblivious to her situation. I knew just what was happening to her and I couldn't believe that she couldn't tell. It was so obvious. The first thing that crossed my mind when her big secret was reviled was a number of questions? Why didn't she always know this? Why didn't she realize it early? and if this was somehow a connection to the Ripper? When Ms.Johnson gotten around to the reasoning I was like ohhhhhhhhh! It made so much since it didn't bother me anymore. Everything started to go together.

The two things that turned me off of this book a little was Jerome and the fact that it took a while to get to the action. First off, Jerome isn't a completely bad character. When he was first introduced it was obvious that he was above all the other boys. The thing that annoyed me about him, and this is going to sound crazy, but he was so obsessed with Jack the Ripper it's like they didn't talk about anything else. It really felt like she was using him as a distraction from all of the drama. Their romance didn't feel really to me. It kinda felt forced. As if she had to be with him. Don't get me wrong. I like his character I just think they should have had more time to build a relationship and I hope that happens in the next book.

The second problem was that it took a while for the book to get going. It was a little past the half way point before you really knew what was happening. From the beginning you just read page after page of Jerome talking about Jack the Ripper, Rory worrying about school work, and talking or watching the news about Jack the Ripper. Of course this is understandable because the books main protagonist if Jack the Ripper however, when the big revile came around it was so far from left field that the complete context of the book changed. It became about something else. Even though it was weird at first, it easily made this book tens time better for me.

Some of my favorite characters were Jazza, her awesome roommate, and her team: Callum, Boo, and Stephen--especially him. Jazza reminded me of my best friend. She was so supportive and dorky, I loved her. At first I wasn't really sure about Boo but she grew on me. Stephen is amazing! Seriously at first he is really cold but there is so much more to him. He became the best part of the team for me.

In summary, this book starts off really slow but builds up towards the end. Rory is an amazing main character. The Jack the Ripper story line was great. It was one of the reasons why I wanted to read it and you could tell the Maureen Johnson put in a lot of research on the topic. I am definitely reading the second book as soon as I get my hands on it.
Obssessed Reader

Hello! My name is Taylor and welcome to my blog!!! I started this blog to chronicle a year of transition in my life. I started it over a year ago when I began my last year of college. Now I’ve graduated and it is time for a new chapter of my life. So far life after college has been quite interesting. Before I was a college student living in New York majoring in History who read way too much while jamming out to awesome music. Now I’m a Seattleite who reads way too much while jamming out to awesome tunes who drinks way too much coffee (seriously the coffee here is AMAZING!!!!!) SO this blog will consist of a lot of music playlist, a bunch of books reviews, and random ramblings about life and other things. Thanks for visiting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment